Sabra Express | NGO No Go
Tovah Lazaroff, Jerusalem Post, August 20th 2022
After classifying seven Palestinian Non-Government Organizations (NGOs) as terrorist groups, Israel faces pressure to increase transparency into its terrorist designation process.
· An NGO is a nonprofit organization that operates independently of any government. NGOs are usually immune when undertaking advocacy for political issues or criticizing the government.
· The IDF raided seven Palestinian NGOs last week, demanding their immediate closure. The raid occurred in Area A of the West Bank, which is under the control of the Palestinian Authority (PA).
· Israel claimed “ironclad” intelligence that tied the NGOs to the Popular Front for the Liberation of Palestine (PFLP), a group that has carried out deadly attacks against Israel and is labeled a terror organization by both the US and Israel . Israel claims the NGOs operate under the guise of performing humanitarian activities but actually help recruit operatives and raise funds for the PFLP . Israeli authorities have previously charged the PFLP for siphoning millions from NGOs to fund its terrorist activities .
· Nine European nations and 45 Israeli rights groups condemned the raid, saying the allegations were baseless, demanding additional evidence . Many of the shuttered NGO’s receive considerable funding from EU member states and the United Nations .
· Should a country have a right to criticize another country’s internal affairs?
· Should Israel be more forthcoming with its evidence?
· Was the terror designation intended to dry up European funding to Palestinian NGOs?
· Are Palestinian NGOs unfairly targeted because of the Israeli-Palestinian conflict?
1. Israel shutters Palestinian rights groups, drawing diplomatic backlash, Miriam Berger, Washington Post, August 18, 2022.
2. Israel designates three PFLP-affiliated groups as terrorist organizations, Israel Defense, August 18th, 2022
3. Israeli rights groups condemn ‘baseless’ terror listing of Palestinian advocacy orgs, Times of Israel, 22 August 2022